Saturday, July 12, 2008

Oh happy days!! :-D

I've made the leap!!! I just ordered a Silvia machine and it's to arrive on Monday. I've held out ever so long because I couldn't justify the expense since my Classico still produces decent shots and ok microfoam. But the Silvia is in another class altogether. Not quite as expensive as dual boiler machines, it is about as good as you can get in a single boiler home user espresso machine.

Why did I finally break down? I was dreaming and shopping around online when I noticed the price of the Silvia at $699. I thought... what the heck? This was a $499 machine just 2 years ago or so. The more I looked I kept seeing this $699 price. Then I noticed a site that stated order before July 1 to get the $599 price. I couldn't believe it. It was July 9th and I missed a major price increase (obviously due to the strong Euro and weak Dollar at the moment - the machine is made in Italy).

Luckily I found an espresso site that still offered the machine at the $595 price and asked my wife nicely if I could order it (she likes the soy lattes I make for her). She agreed and I quickly placed the order before their price increased as well.

I'm excited to see how my art will improve. I think I will get much stronger crema and more consisitent microfoam with the Silvia. I'm also sure there is a learning curve, but I did make a nice leaf art when using my friend's Silvia some months back.

I will keep you updated when I get the machine. Now... to find a 58mm tamper deal. My super nice and super $$$ Reg Barber 49mm tamper will have to be retired - or ebayed.

-Naug

2 comments:

Supervillainess said...

Bravo! I hope you can pull a shot for me sometime (when we're next in town).

G.

Supervillainess said...

Why not order an "ergo packer" from Espresso Vivace?