Friday, August 22, 2008

No crema but decent pour


This pour from this morning just goes to show that you can get fairly good art EVEN IF your crema is plain awful. I actually did my shot into an espresso mug and then decided to try a pour so I transfered that into my cup - something I never do. As a result, I lost most of what little crema I had to begin with.

I'm still a little unsure how to start the pours because I get really undefined lower leaves of the rosetta but only toward the end of the pour am I getting a good light and dark contrast in the design. I'm sure having better crema and fresher beans would help. Maybe I'll roast some on Saturday... I've been SUPER lazy recently.

Have sooperdy dooper day!

-Naug
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

mediaspork said...

Dude, you have to get some fresh coffee. Then you will get nice crema
like this.
Roast away. BTW, I'd sure love that other latte cup ;^)

mediaspork said...

Or like this.

MAS said...

What are your thoughts on the 3-hole steamer tip? I bought one for my Silvia and now I'm thinking the milk is frothing too fast.

naug said...

glenga - yes, you DO have superior crema I admit, but what's up with your pours? Seems you might need some more frothing power from say... a Silvia machine? :-) Or I could demonstrate some of my finest techniques. j/k

mas - my friend bought a 3-hole and said it seemed harder to control than the 1-hole and frothed too fast. I noticed online some other ppl said the same - MORE foam, but not the microfoam that makes good art. Stick with the 1-hole. BTW, what kind of frothing pitcher do you use? Does it have a sharp pouring spout? Also, if your milk heats TOO quick try putting the pitcher in the freezer before use to give more time to work a good tight froth.

MAS said...

thanks. I'm going put the 1-hole back on.

Per your sidebar, I went out and bought the Toroid Pitcher. It is very nice.

naug said...

mas - Can't wait to see your results with the Toroid. Keep practicing and maybe we'll both be part-time baristas someday. Lol.