Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Now we're getting somewhere

So I had to rush to get this one made. I didn't have my larger brown latte cups clean and didn't FEEL like cleaning them so I used my smaller 7oz cups and frothed my wife's soy latte first (life would be easier if she drank milk) then frothed mine. The smaller amount of milk heated almost too quickly and I had to try NOT to pull too much air into the milk to make a nice microfoam. I was worried that the foam would die when it hit the espresso since I had less than 20 seconds of froth time, but it held its own and when I did the shake I realized I was going to get a good pour.

I darkened the photo slightly to show the crema - yes, still using the preroasted free beans. But the result speaks for itself. Pretty darn nice. It was drunk in record time too cause it was so small - a good excuse to make another before work if I ever heard one.

-Naug

ps... my wife asks when I'm going to learn some other design. uh... when I perfect this one... so, never probably. ha ha.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

MAS said...

I'd be interested in seeing a post on what espresso blends you are using and if you have seen differences in how the foam holds - based off the blend itself.

naug said...

In response to the comment by mas, it is more the "freshness" of the roast aka how recently the beans were roasted that seems to give the thick lasting crema. Beans that were roasted a day or two prior will give great crema vs ones that were roasted x weeks ago and then vacuum packed.

I also have found that when I roast I will blend 10-15% robusta beans in with the arabica. The robusta beans are not as smooth but they greatly enhance the crema and using a small percent doesn't hurt the overall taste. Plus robusta have more caffeine so that can be good or bad. :)

This is what I typically roast...
10-15% robusta
50-60% Brazil (good base)
20-25% Columbia (for body)
15% Sumatra or Nicaragua (for flavor)

Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

You will get an excellent crema (even with the Saeco Classico) when using David's Espresso Vivace green bean blend. Fresher is definitely better.

- G

MAS said...

What is the diameter of your latte cup in inches?

naug said...

I have 3 diff size 3 latte cups...

-7oz with a 3.5" diameter (don't use these too often)
-8oz with a 4" diameter
-10oz with a 4.5" diameter

I have had PLENTY of good and bad pours with all 3.

:-P